Company Name – County of Santa Barbara
Location of Job – Santa Maria, CA
Job Duration (full-time, part time, or contract basis) – Full-time
- Four years of experience in the design, engineering, inspection, or permit coordination within the electrical building and construction field; or,
- two years of experience performing duties equivalent to the class of Building Engineering Inspector III with Santa Barbara County assigned to a specialized field of inspection; or,
- Possession of an I.C.B.O. or equivalent certificate in the electrical field of inspection, and two years of experience in the inspection specialty; or,
- a combination of training, education, and experience that is equivalent to one of the employment standards listed above and that provides the required knowledge and abilities.
Additional Requirements: Certification by I.C.B.O. in the electrical field of inspection must be obtained within one year of appointment; possession of a valid California Class C Drivers License.
Knowledge of: general methods and materials used in a construction specialty; codes and ordinances and state and local laws relating to a specialized field of construction; basic inspection methods.
Ability to: read, interpret, and review complex plans and specifications relating to a specialized field of building construction; enforce building codes and related laws; prepare clear written reports; train and impart specialized knowledge to Building Division personnel; interact effectively with the public and secure the cooperation of persons in the construction industry; represent the Building and Safety Division in the specialty field in meetings and to other County agencies; and learn to operate a computer.
Our Ideal Candidate can effectively perform the above duties and has:
- A strong understanding of the electrical systems, wiring, power distributions system and application of codes and standards to ensure a safe built environment.
- A working knowledge of disabled access regulations, building, plumbing, mechanical codes and the ability to conduct related inspections independently.
- Ability to work within a team setting focused on helping customers to win compliance with the governing codes and regulations.
- Commitment to deliver value added services effectively and consistently.
- Solution oriented approaches toward the regulatory aspect of the work.
- Effective written and verbal communications skills to convey information to various clients and audiences (property owners, builders, expert design professionals, engineers, etc.)
- Professional demeanor that fosters a positive and constructive working relation with internal and external customers
- Ability to defuse difficult situations
- Good listening skills
- Willingness to embrace technology to facilitate process and enhance service delivery
- International Code Council (ICC) Electrical Inspector certification (or be able to posses it within one year of employment)
- Design experience or engineering degree in related field is highly desirable.
- Oil field experience relating to oil producing stations and panel boards will be a plus.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
The incumbent will be providing general building inspection services and will be the County electrical specialist, conducting plan check and inspection projects of electrical systems. Examples of duties include:
- Review, approval and inspection of electrical systems and installations on various occupancies, power plants, refineries, substations and equipment.
- Provide expert interpretation on application of electrical codes and national electrical standards and develop written guidelines and technical advisories and policies.
- Train county staff on electrical plan check and inspection and provide field supervisions on related issues as needed.
- Provide combination inspections on new, additions and alteration projects.
- Conduct various code enforcement duties, write reports, and assist with adoption and implementation of new buildings codes. Plan check and inspect onshore petroleum electrical stations, electrical serving oil pumping equipment and complex electrical wind power stations, generators and photovoltaic systems.
- Assist customers by explaining electrical code requirements.
- Review and advice on alternate methods and means of construction.
- The County of Santa Barbara seeks to hire an experienced electrical specialist with substantial experience in:
- Design or Plan check and inspection of complex electrical systems and power distribution in residential, commercial, industrial and other occupancies, structures and buildings under County jurisdiction.
- Application of California Codes and national standard in design, plan check and inspection of building electrical systems.
- Design or plan check and inspection of electrical systems in hazardous locations such as refineries.
- Design or plan check and inspection of alternative energy resources systems and wiring such as solar systems.
- Combination inspection of various building types and structures.
Additional information about job:
- Review applications and supplemental questionnaire to determine who meets the minimum qualifications.
- Supplemental Questionnaire Ranking. The information that you provide on your application and supplemental questionnaire will be reviewed and scored.
Applicants must receive a percentage score of at least 70 on the supplemental questionnaire examination to be placed on an employment list. An adjustment may be made to raw scores based on factors listed in Civil Service Rule VI. Those candidates who are successful in the selection process will have their names placed on the employment list for a minimum of three months. At the time the employment list is established, all candidates will receive written notice of their score on the exam(s), rank on the employment list, and exact duration of the employment list.
Applicants are encouraged to provide their e-mail address on their application to enable the Human Resources Department to communicate more quickly with them via e-mail regarding the status of their application and the recruitment process.
The County of Santa Barbara will not release any applicant’s e-mail address to a third party. Appointee may be subject to a post-offer medical evaluation or examination. The appointee must satisfactorily complete a probationary period.
BENEFITS: The County of Santa Barbara offers generous benefits, please visit our website. http://www.countyofsb.org/hr/CompSumm.aspx?id=11026
The County of Santa Barbara respects and values a diverse workforce and strongly promotes strategies and activities to recruit, develop and retain qualified men and women of varied backgrounds, lifestyles, experiences and races.
How to apply
Apply online at http://sbcountyjobs.com
APPLICATION AND SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE DEADLINE: 12/13/11- 5:00 pm; postmarks not accepted.
Applications and job bulletins can be obtained 24 hours a day at www.sbcountyjobs.com. In Santa Barbara, applications and job bulletins may be obtained at the Human Resources Department, 1226 Anacapa Street, from 9:00-12:00 and 1:00-4:00. In Santa Maria, applications and job bulletins can be obtained on-line only at the Workforce Resource Center located at 1410 S. Broadway, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.